Umesh Chandra was undoubtedly the most reputed
police officer in the history of Andhra Pradesh police. He was loved by
the people and the police where ever he worked. He was severe on antisocial
elements and was very affectionate to the people. He created tremors in
the backbones of the naxalites and factionists by showing them, what police
are capable of. In his tenure as SP of Cuddapah district, which was
considered as second most troublesome district in India, he restored
normal conditions within no time, with his extraordinary abilities.
He was called cuddapah tiger by the people of Cuddapah.
Umesh Chandra's statue was unveiled on
September 4, 2000 in the same traffic intersection where he was
assassinated a year before.
High notes of a short,
but, illustrious career:
- Umesh Chandra raised the standards of policing and administration
for his fellow officers to emulate. He provided a strict, yet fair
administration. He turned around the negative image the police had in
the peoples minds.
- Umesh Chandra was bold and daring in dealing with the naxalites.
He relentlessly pursued the apprehension of
extremists, naxalites and other anti-social elements. He planned
and led all counter-terrorist operations himself.
- Umesh Chandra was a exemplary police officer who maintained a very
high degree of honesty, integrity and professionalism. Umesh Chandra
set a very high standard for himself and encouraged his fellow police
officers to attain and excel these standards. The Vedic scriptures say
that a saint's words follow his actions. This was very true of Umesh
- Umesh Chandra raised the morale of the police force where ever he
went. He instilled a sense of pride and
confidence in the police.
- Umesh Chandra truly cared about the fellow human being. His humane
nature made him an instant favorite of the common man. He did not limit
himself to police work alone. He immersed himself in truly solving the
real problems faced by the people.
- Umesh Chandra was adored like God by both the common man and the
police in all the districts he worked.
Umesh Chandra evoked a great sense
of loyalty and admiration of the police force as well as the common
- Umesh Chandra looked after the well-being of all police officials
working with him. He helped police families in times of need and
supported them when police personnel were injured.
- Election time usually is marked by violence leading to murder and
mayhem. In all the districts Umesh Chandra served,
election time violence became a
thing of the past.